It’s coming together. Slowly but surely.
We didn’t find out ahead of time what gender our baby would be, so I couldn’t narrow down little details. But now that Miss Brinley is here, piece by piece, our gender neutral room is becoming a wee bit more ‘girlie’.
I’m a sucker for classic nurseries and not super keen on cartoon themes. My eye is always drawn to rooms on Pinterest that the little person can grow into rather than having to fully change out the decor over time. I decided on a colour scheme ahead of time, based on the owl artwork I found at Winners / Home Sense. The gray from the owl pic matched the walls perfectly and incorporated navy and teal, which could easily be in a girl or a boy room. Once little miss was born, I added in a touch of pink in the room.
Truth be told, I typically despise pink. I’m not exactly a girlie girl. I enjoy wearing jeans and a t-shirt and my hair is almost always in a pony tail. I didn’t even plan on putting any pink anywhere. I thought “how cliche”. But now that Brinley is here, something about having a girl has changed that. Just slightly, mind you. I haven’t gone overboard by any means… but I’m not vehemently adverse to a little pink here and there anymore either !
I found the cutest pink fabric antique chaise at a garage sale for $30 (it was actually already sold and … well, I managed to talk the owners into selling it to me. Long story !). I just love it – although I’m still figuring out the layout in the room – so things may move. Add in a beautiful bird cage (another garage sale find! Score !) and the chandelier (that was an original light fixture in our house … from our dining room) and there is a nice, feminine feel to the room.
I tried my hand at making two terrariums to bring in some greenery and life to the nursery. Love succulents instead of love ferns, perhaps !?
The only thing I bought were the succulents… making this an inexpensive addition as I used vases I already had and pebbles and dirt from my yard.
I also made a mobile out of … wait for it … pine cones ! This room has a down to earth kinda feel and I wanted a little less consumerism in it and a little more creativity thrown in. To make the mobile, I bound two pieces of drift wood together and then strung up some pine cones with fishing line. I am contemplating painting the pine cones but for now they are maintaining their au naturel vibe. B just loves staring up at them when I change her. So I guess it passed the bosses test!
A little bit of sentiment and older pieces are currently in there. Like the distressed, vintage cabinet that the succulents are on, Isaac’s old crib, Lee’s grandmother’s La-Z-Boy that i happen to fall asleep in at least 5 times a week during the night time feed, and the dresser/change table that my dad built when I was born.
I thought it would be cool to incorporate the dresser somehow (plus our budget was too tight to buy anything else!) but it was a orange-y yellow stain and needing a bit of an update. I painted the sides of it with Cowboy, which is the darkest paint on the swatch that the walls are painted (Skeptic and Turbo by General paint are the stripes colours) so that it still ‘matched’. And then I painted the fronts of the doors and drawers with a plain ol’ white that I had sitting in the basement. It’s not perfect. It’s not consistent. It now has a weathered look – done by accident – but I love it. Now begins the hunt for new knobs and pulls ! I’m thinking crystal knobs… an Anthropologie shop will be needed but for now, I just spray painted the knobs so they weren’t totally in yo’ face.
There is a lot I still want to do in this room. I would love to do some sort of a patterned paint on the plain Jane white curtains and I really want to do some sort of a gallery wall above her bed. We shall see. Like everything else in our house, it is a work in progress and will forever be changing.
But for now, it’s exactly what it needs to be !